Feb 1, 2010

Maya's Bedtime

At bedtime, after stories, Maya asked me to sit with her for a few minutes.

Now, the rule is, if Mommy stays, she has to close her eyes and go to sleep.

Usually there's at least one or two violations to that rule.  

Last night's exceptions made me giggle.  I'll share...

Maya (as I kiss her good night) "Mmm...something smells good." 

Just as quickly as I'm thinking that I'm smelling extra special today and before my behind can hit Bella's bed where I sit when I stay with her, she says, 

"Maybe it's strawberry cupcakes!?!!"

Mommy's heart feels slightly crushed.  But I'll live.  

"Maybe..." I say.  "Good night, Maya."

"Mommy, I like strawberry cupcakes.  I mean, I loooooooooove strawberry cupcakes.  They sure are tasty!" and she licks and smacks her lips, almost making me wonder if she had hidden one under her pillow and was snacking under the puffy safety of the down comforter.

Holding in a giggle, I say, "Yes they are Maya.  Goodnight."

"Mommy, I like chocolate cupcakes too.  They are pretty tasty too.  Pretty much all cupcakes are tasty."

"Yes Maya.  I like cupcakes too.  I'm going to go in the other room now.  [cuz she's violated my rule now, and I have to be consistent, right? :~/ ]  Good night, Maya.  I love you."

"OK Mommy...but, will you send Daddy in when he gets home?  He likes cupcakes too.  They are tasty, you know!?!"  

Oh I love the person she's growing in to.

0 people said...: